Road to Admin

Prop Hunt - Permissible hiding spots

- Tried to have the discussion on a ban appeal but it was closed a second before i could post the comment...

Yep Firstaid this isn't a ban appeal, I just couldn't find another spot in the forums to have this discussion where it wouldn't bring all this stuff in the way of players enjoying the forumn.   

So the reason I opened this was to have an open discussion on some of the confusing advice I received from both sides like "if your visible and can be killed ur good" and i wanted to clarify all of this. 

In regards to Bob's post, the angle from the screenshot is deceptive as its not taken from prop POV, but i was actually killed not sure if it was that same round or next prop round from the bench barely not visible behind that seeker, who shot my prop via the giant top hole of that gate. (I remained visible and was taunting, etc).

Also Bob was there with me and killed all the bottles that were hiding in un killable locations but never moved/slayed me, I won't speak for Bob but seemed to me at the time he seemed uncertain on the legitimacy of the spot. I often play with friends so I do have someone who could back me up.

But besides the spot I want to talk about spots that maybe abit gray in the rules, I was (and still am) obviously banned for this reason. And I believe its been because of me being in spots like those - where you can be seen and killed alright and still inside the map boundaries (like in the image, props can walk in there).

I guess my understanding from the "its ok if you can be seen and killed" I believe, is a grey area in the current porphunt rules and i'd like to make it more black and white... I guess for future players, and myself to clarify the general rules behind some dodgy type spots in a bit more detail. As i believe i was visible and killable in all my spots. 

So i have come up with some Q's regarding some grey area's for the rules, I'd really appreciate if they can be clarified by someone with experience that can give a definitive - yes/no on these.

So in rooms where you can walk in as a prop, and you're visible and killable, but there is potential for a prop to become unkillable (even if you don't take it), aren't allowed?

If you're able to parkour to spots, that normally you couldn't with jetpacks, but your still visible and killable but are normally not areas people would look at also not allowed?

If you're able to without !unstuck escape maps (like the port map) and go to places where your still visible and killable not allowed?

If you're able to use jetpack to get onto roofs of buildings, where you may not necessarily be visible or killable immediately, but killable if the person has a jetpack or similar future powerup and is able to get on the roof, allowed?

Because i feel like these are the spots that I've been using and many people with less hours on the server like Bob have identified as breaking rules. When I've seen admins other mods, etc use these spots. Obviously not everyone does. And again I want to reiterate that it feels like - atleast to me - there's a divide between the "if ur visible and killable its ok" for many staff, and other similar grey situations between not just me but all players that visit on the servers and I feel not just for myself, but for other's it could be a great opportunity to clarify on my lesson - how to avoid, things like this in future. 

• Thumbs Down 1

Regarding your lined out text I did slay and remove you on more than one occasion, You broke the rules and I am beyond aware of the legitimacy of the spots on numerous maps, the one in question was an obvious exploit and is even shown in a full screenshot. 

- regards again to the screenshot, it is blatantly behind the area of the map that is legally accessible, the one whom killed you was me and you continued to flaunt server rules and are attempting to argue it further more now

Legality of spots comes down to multiple factors but boils down to legally accessible spots, regardless of power ups or not, if its breaching the map barrier you are breaking server rules and no longer in a legitimate spot.

The spots are not grey areas if you truly familiarise yourself with the rules of Vulcan and also pay attention to the numerous times I, other staff and players have pointed out what you shouldnt be doing.

Your appeal was denied for the multitude of reasons, all of which are fair and have been confirmed by multiple staff members within the server, this is a decision which is not taken lightly and was explicitly dealt with with multiple levels of input. You still reserve the right to appeal in a months time, for now please reflect on the actions and the lack of communication on your behalf as we had been crystal clear on multiple occasions with you.

Sincerely Bob

• +1 1

Yep, so clearly by forum title this wasn’t a discussion on my ban appeal. Back to the original questions I had for some of the senior/experienced staff:

So i have come up with some Q's regarding some grey area's for the rules, I'd really appreciate if they can be clarified by someone with experience that can give a definitive - yes/no on these.

So in rooms where you can walk in as a prop, and you're visible and killable, but there is potential for a prop to become unkillable (even if you don't take it), aren't allowed?

If you're able to parkour to spots, that normally you couldn't with jetpacks, but your still visible and killable but are normally not areas people would look at also not allowed?

If you're able to without !unstuck escape maps (like the port map) and go to places where your still visible and killable not allowed?

If you're able to use jetpack to get onto roofs of buildings, where you may not necessarily be visible or killable immediately, but killable if the person has a jetpack or similar future powerup and is able to get on the roof, allowed?

The Applicable Rules in the Rule list are 

• Do not abuse commands (e.g. !unstuck) or use exploits to gain an unfair advantage.
  • Do not exploit the map or leave map boundaries.
  • Hunters must be able to both see and shoot a prop without the use of explosives.
  • If you are unsure about a spot being legal, just ask.

In Regard to your Questions

• If there is a potential for the prop to be unkillable it is considered a No Go spot

• As Long as they are visible and killable it is perfectly fine

• You Should never leave the map boundaries

• This is a grey Area, But if you are not visible to the hunters you should not be in that spot

In the Future if you are confused about a spot just message a Staff member and ask if it is a Legal Spot

• +1 2
  • Thumbs Up 2